Published on June 25th, 2015 | by Deb Wolf0
Tobacco Prevention Educator Wanted
Tobacco Prevention Educator/Youth Outreach 20 hours/week
Job Summary: Coordinate coalition’s youth prevention education efforts. Work with CVNDC staff, local middle and high schools, coaches, youth groups, and VT Department of Health to promote decreased substance use and encourage healthy lifestyles. Projects include working with youth and young adults; implementing prevention activities and campaigns; and collaborating with schools, parents and the community around tobacco and second hand smoke, alcohol, and other drug prevention.
Hours: 20 hours/week Start date: September 1, 2015, position open until filled.
Supervised by and reports to: Director, Central Vermont New Directions Coalition
Duties & Responsibilities:
- School Tobacco Education— Reach out and develop relationships, planning, and scheduling with school administrators, counselors, teachers, staff, and student groups in Montpelier and U-32 district. Provide educational presentations and activities around the harms of tobacco products, second hand and third hand smoke, e-cigarettes, Big tobacco industry advertising and marketing targeting youth, and 802 Quits cessation information.
- Community Awareness—Assist with community events, media, and education promoting smoke free public parks and events, limiting tobacco and alcohol advertising and marketing, and promoting safe, healthy alternatives. Participate in steering committee and research in downtown Montpelier.
- Smoke Free Housing—Provide outreach and support to landlords and housing organizations around education, implementation of smoke free policies, and connections to cessation programs for tenants.
- Tobacco Free College Campus Initiatives—Participate in statewide coalition monthly trainings, meetings, technical assistance calls, and work with local college administrators and students at CCV, NECI, VCFA to move toward implementing a smoke free campus.
- High Risk Drinking Community Awareness—Assist with efforts at U-32 during piloting of an online, anonymous, alcohol and marijuana use self- assessment: e-check-up-to go and e-toke
- Evaluation—Assist with the collection and written reporting of data on substance abuse prevention activities (of dates, events, participation, community involvement) for quarterly reports.
- Other duties and responsibilities may include posting information on our website, Facebook page, assisting with campaigns from the Vermont Department of Health, and attending occasional evening meetings such as City Council, Select Boards, community presentations.
- Interest and experience in health education, communication, teaching youth
- Clear commitment to tobacco prevention and other substance abuse prevention
- Ability to engage youth in activities
- Ability to work independently and initiate new programs
- Willingness to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of social media
- Strong organizational skills and commitment to accurate record keeping for evaluation needs
- Knowledge of the Montpelier/Central Vermont community strongly desired
TO APPLY: Submit cover letter, resume, references to Ann Gilbert, Director CVNDC, email@example.com
Central Vermont New Directions Coalition, 73 Main Street #33, Montpelier VT 05602 – EOE